Sunday, September 20, 2026

Sunday Stills - Where the Buffalo Roam


This week the Sunday Stills Animal of the Month prompt is "Antlers, Horns, and Hooves".  I don't have have any hooves on my camera roll, but when I looked back for photos of antlers and horns and the animals who sport those features, I found these. As my title indicates, we have buffalo. Or, more accurately, bison. These were spotted at Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park in Galloway, Ohio (just southwest of Columbus). This Metro Park area is over 7000 acres of wetlands, forest, and prairies along the Darby creeks. American bison were reintroduced to this protected area and roam in two enclosed pastures, giving visitors just a hint of what the landscape was like when this area was first settled.



The bison below was spotted at the Columbus Zoo.


Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam . . . check . . . 
And the deer and the antelope play . . .

Deer are arguably a lot easier to find roaming than buffalo/bison, but they aren't always close enough for photos. Here are a few (only one with antlers!) that were calm and friendly and didn't blend into the background in the photo.



This one was content to eat from our hands and let us pet her!



I don't have good photos of antelope, but in lieu of the elusive pronghorn antelope I remember from the western Canadian prairies, I offer some photos of bighorn sheep and their impressive curly horns. They roam through small towns in the mountains like they own the place. Towns like Banff in Alberta, Kimberley in B.C., and Radium in B.C., where I took these photos.




See you next time for more Sunday Stills!




Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful shots of the bison, deer and big-horns, Kym! When you mentioned BC, Canada, I remember seeing a lot of deer randomly walking the streets of Kimberly. Such a neat experience, like the elk in Payson, Arizona. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.