We'd wanted to attend a couple of local community fairs near Columbus, like the Tomato Festival and the Zucchini Fest, but couldn't synchronize those schedules with our own. We also talked about going up to Cuyahoga Valley National Park but it didn't work out so we are planning to go hopefully in the next month or so.
I was likely to be near the front until about fourth or fifth grade. Part of the reason I moved to the back of the classroom was that I was in a split grade classroom and the older students sat at the back. I soon discovered that I could get away with stuff sitting at the back that I couldn't if I was right under the teacher's nose, and I made use of that loophole! I was overall a very good student in terms of grades, but I cut classes and wasted time and goofed around an awful lot too.
If I could take a high school class again, I think I'd want to take a History or Civics class. I always enjoyed history but I didn't get a very good timeline sense of it from my schooling. Since I went to school in Canada, I didn't learn much about American history and nothing about American civics so I'd like a chance to take those classes from an American perspective.
3. What characteristics do you think are essential in a good teacher (this can be applied to anyone who teaches, not just classroom teachers)?
I think a good teacher, one who is effective and inspiring, enjoys the process of learning and discovery and can learn along with his/her students. There's always something new to learn, and modeling that curiosity and interest for students is really important, in my opinion, because it helps students see that they can be lifelong learners and keep developing their skills and their minds. Even teaching young students how to read - the teacher probably doesn't have anything new to learn about the alphabet or basic reading skills, but can still share in the 'lightbulb' moments and victories as little ones get it. That's exciting. To me, it was just as exciting in many ways as my babies' first words and first steps. Good teachers also work in partnership with their students to achieve the learning goals, pushing them towards achievement and personal bests when they need to be prodded, holding them accountable for doing their best, and correcting them without belittling them.
I answered thinking mostly of my experience with anyone teaching me, and my experience as a home educator and as a co-op classroom tutor; but I do think those principles could be applied for someone teaching music or art or a new language, or new workplace skills.
I have eaten a lot of grits in my life and I am a pretty big fan of grits! I don't think I tried them for the first time until I was an adult, or at least an older teen, as they are far less commonly included on the menu in Canada. When I eat breakfast out, I love it when I can have a little dish of grits as a side! I prefer my grits hot and buttery, and maybe with a little bit of sugar or sweetener. I don't want them cheesy or anything like that. And a dish like shrimp & grits is a definite and hard NO, though my husband really likes it.
I can see how people who know me could describe me as 'having grit'. I don't back down from things I feel strongly about, and in general I'm persistent and don't give up easily.
Anyone else remember the character Flo from the show "Alice" and her signature line, "Well, kiss my grits!"?
Music and laughter!
Did you get to see the lunar eclipse last week? Our view reminded me of years ago, the first time we were aware of a lunar eclipse and wanted to view it with the kids. Using a telescope no less! And we were studying astronomy in school at that time as well. But just like last week, it was overcast and cloudy and we could hardly see the moon in the hours leading up to the eclipse.
And also just like last week, the clouds cleared just in time for us to watch the eclipse! On that earlier night, there was just a window in the clouds only big enough to see the eclipse and then it clouded over again within an hour. I remember seeing it as a huge answer to prayer though, because we really wanted to see that eclipse, and prayed that way. God cares enough about young kids (and their homeschool mum) to part the clouds and let them see the eclipse!
We were super pleased that this time the clouds cleared out in time for us to have a really nice view of the eclipse and to take some truly low-quality photos.
Thanks for reading along! How do you feel about grits or about the eclipse or anything else mentioned in this Hodgepodge? Leave a comment and let me know!
I host the Wednesday Quotes link-up every other Wednesday. Stop by and share a few thoughts and quotes on the current topic here: WQ - Worthwhile Mistakes. I host the Everyday Images photo link-up every other Thursday. And find the Scripture and a Snapshot link-up here every Sunday.













Cool cloud pictures! Sky shots are some of my favorites. I love shrimp and grits but also like grits for breakfast. I did not grow up in the south but had a friend from Georgia whose mother made them often and that's where I first had them. Here in SC they're on a lot of menus.
ReplyDelete