Friday, September 4, 2026

Currently . . . September 4, 2026


The "Currently" link-up at the beginning of each month is now hosted at Coffee and Cocktails at the Casa. Our hostess Amy posts a set of action verb prompts for the month and writers respond. So, without further ado, here are this month's prompts and what's happening currently . . .

***********

Adjusting to - the morning traffic patterns during my commute. I've had a couple of days since school started up that went very smoothly and I got to work on time or a little bit early. And I've had a couple of days when the traffic was just snarled up everywhere and I wound up late. So I'm trying to determine if those were just weird days with roadwork or accidents or something slowing everything down, or if that's the traffic pattern I can expect most days and the other days were lucky. Related adjustment is how to drive directly into the sunrise without going blind. Fortunately I only drive east to get out of the neighborhood so it's only a few blocks worth. My husband has to drive for long stretches directly into the morning sun, and I assume there will probably be a season that he'll drive directly into the setting sun for a bit too.  

Baking/Cooking - I try to make quick meals on weeknights so they are usually pretty simple. I made country fried steak last night which was a little more work but didn't actually take very long, all things considered. I'm trying to bake bread more often, especially as we get into fall. I'm planning to invite friends to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving with us, and even though that's a month away, I'm thinking ahead about the menu so I won't wind up feeling rushed. That's the plan anyway!

Decorating - my house, I hope! I still haven't put anything up on the walls or added much in the way of decor. I have a large wall hanging at the Maryland house that I'm bringing back after the weekend and it will go in the living room here. That should kickstart me a little bit!

Balancing - the budget. Trying to stay on top of that, anyway!

Learning - a few updates to music and choreography and making sure I get it all right because International is less than two months away! 

*************************
Here's a short Coffee Break Reading List . . . 


I'm currently reading . . . 



I've been on a break from reading this summer. That's the only fair way to describe it. I'm almost finished the above book, and since we're going away for the weekend, I'll take one or both of these ones along and see if I can get back to more regular reading and start checking books off my list again. A new book I'd pre-ordered just arrived in the mail yesterday, and I'd all but forgotten that I'd ordered it, so now I have that to get to as well!

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
Paper Wife by Laila Ibrahim

  

Things at my book blog, Just A Second, are on pause right now, since obviously there are no new reviews to share.

*************************

Something fun found during coffee breaks:


*************************

What's currently happening in your life? Leave a comment and let me know! 

 Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email. 

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

9 comments:

  1. Oh I really dislike those days when I'm trying to drive and the sun is blinding me! I'm sure the decorating will come together in its own time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm often surprised there are not more accidents during that time frame where the sun is right at the horizon and blinding bright.
      I'm in MD now and looking at what wall decor I left here that I will bring to the house. Hopefully the large wall hanging that I want it accessible! I ALMOST bought a large wall clock today. Hopefully I won't regret passing on it. LOL
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Driving into the sun can be so trying. Nowadays I seldom have that problem, but with our after-breakfast bicycle rides, I often have the sun in my eyes. Fortunately, I can tip my head forward just a little and the bill on my bike helmet shields the sun. But when driving into the sun in a car, it can be much more problematic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can see how riding into the sun would be a real problem on a bike too! I guess wearing a helmet would make a bit easier to tip your head and shield it. That aspect is a little trickier in a car.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Traffic is rarely a fun thing. I am curious to read about International. Hope you've had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we got home from our long weekend trip this evening so I need to get caught up on blogs (again!) Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Driving into the sun is so hard. And yes, even though I walk to work I walk considerably slower if it's really icy. It's hard to judge how much time to give myself some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, before we know it, I'll have to readjust my commute expectations again to allow for ice or snow. Ice can be so tricky - I really slow down and am extra cautious when I'm walking in icy conditions. Hope you stay safe all winter as you walk! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  5. Really enjoyed Remarkably Bright and the movie with Sally Field, too. I am buzzing through In an Instant on Audible. It is not my usual kind of read but has me captivated. Not sure how things are going to wind up.
    Can't wait to see your large art from the Maryland house on your walls. We will need pictures.
    Good for you to be thinking about Canadian Thanksgiving in advance and staying on top of the budget. I try hard, too. But the money is just not going nearly as far as it was a decade ago. Cannot believe our gas prices. Makes me want to stay home.
    Getting out of our subdivision on early weekday mornings has become a mess again now that school is back in session. I have had PT 2 times a week for a couple of months and I am almost always pulling into the parking lot just in the nick of time. I feel your pain!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.