Sunday, July 19, 2026

Sunday Stills - Farm Animals


This week the Sunday Stills prompt turns our attention to animals found on a zoo or farm. Pretty much any animal might be found in a zoo, I guess, and I have always enjoyed visits to the zoo. But I'm focusing on a few farm animals today.

I've never owned a horse, and it's been years since I went riding, but in my opinion, there are few animals as beautiful as horses.


These horses and their donkey companion belonged to our neighbors in Maryland, and were pretty friendly. Usually it made me feel so fortunate to look out over my backyard and see horses or other farm animals grazing peacefully.


And when the weather was not so good, we marvelled that animals were generally okay out there! They had a nice barn to take shelter in whenever they wanted to!



This beautiful team was giving wagon rides at Christmastime and I was so glad to get this photo. I wish I'd got their names.


Sort of straddling the fence between farm and zoo animals are bison. While they once roamed freely in the wild, their numbers were greatly reduced and thanks to zoos, wildlife preserves, breeding programs and more, the American bison has been recovering. Like beef cattle, they are raised on farms and ranches for their meat. Bison are semi-wild and can't be domesticated to the same extent that cattle are, and the ranches require heavy duty corrals and equipment to safely handle these powerful animals. About 200,000 bison are raised on privately owned ranches for their meat. Many wildlife preserves also have bison roaming on open ranges, and it is breathtaking to see just a small herd of them and imagine what it was like to see a prairie covered with herds of hundreds or thousands!

I have seen bison out west but don't have photos of those. This fellow was at the Columbus Zoo . . .


. . . and these are at the Batelle Darby Creek Metro Park in Galloway, Ohio (just southwest of Columbus).




Back to somewhat more traditional farm animals . . . cattle. Where we lived in Maryland, we were surrounded by dairy farms and quite a few of our friends were farmers. Peaceful scenes like this were part of the everyday drives in the area.


They were our neighbors, and most were quite friendly.





These calves were neighbors at the other end of the road.




I don't remember whether these were neighbors or not!


These oxen were not our neighbors, but I was impressed with their patient strength when we watched them work at a farm museum in Geneseo, New York, many years ago. Very handsome!


And I leave you with this darling little guy who was at Timbuk Farms (greenhouse and garden center) this past Christmas season.






Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous gallery of animals! Love them all, but especially the horses and bison. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing array of farm animals, Kym! I owned a horse as a kid and loved every minute. You have some great photos here of the horses and cows. Thank you for calling yours bison, not buffalo! 😁 We were thrilled to see bison in Yellowstone last year.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.