Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Lemon Yellow Hodgepodge




A hodgepodge is a jumble or assortment of things that might not appear to belong together. Joyce at From This Side of the Pond hosts a weekly link-up called Wednesday Hodgepodge that is a little collection of questions for bloggers to answer just for fun and to get to know each other. I always look forward to chatting with friends over coffee, so pour a cup of your favorite and let's visit for a few minutes! In keeping with the theme, I'm enjoying a lemony-limey beverage today!



Here are this week's questions - and my answers - for this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1.  Do your goals and dreams energize or exhaust you? Elaborate.
 
Neither? Or I guess it depends on what else is going on in my life as I think about the goals. The goal and dream of getting new furniture and decorating my house is energizing . . . until I get frustrated trying to find the item I want at a price I'm willing to pay. Then it can be discouraging and perhaps exhausting as I wonder how long it will take to find what I want or to get pictures up on the walls or the kitchen sorted or whatever it may be. Kind of similar situation in the goal to lose weight and get healthier - energizing as long as things are generally going well, but exhausting when it feels like I've been working at it and doing the right things and the number of the scale doesn't budge. 
 
2. July 23rd is national lemon day. Are you a fan of this flavor? What's a favorite dish or beverage you enjoy that calls for lemons?

Oh I do like lemon flavor! Lemonade is delicious and so are desserts like lemon bars. Lemon is used in a lot of Greek dishes that I like, and I always ask for lemon quarters to squeeze onto my fish and chips. A favorite dish is chicken lemon orzo soup, and a favorite beverage is raspberry lemonade. 

Hubby and I shared a "fresh squeezed lemonade" when we went to the concert and fireworks on July 4th. We paid way too much for it and I said we would need to keep the cup and reuse it to get our money's worth. So I have to include a photo of it, since it fits! 

 


3. "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" . . . is this something you're pretty good at managing? Have you had to do this recently? If so tell us about it.

 Yes, I think I'm pretty good at making the best of situations. I tend to be easy-going and roll with whatever is thrown at me, and to be optimistic most of the time. If I do complain, it's usually in a funny way to try and find the humor in the situation and to not take myself too seriously. In a way, I guess my husband and I have tried to make the best of things as he's been dealing with the kidney stone. We joke about it, and try to see the bright side of it - like some shorter work days for him, for example. 

4.  Something you love that is lemon yellow in color?

 Other than actual lemons, I guess . . . hmmm. I love some flowers that are yellow - especially yellow tulips and black-eyed susans. Coffee Crisp wrappers. This serving bowl, and this Frank Lloyd Wright design mug (on the left), which I picked out especially because I loved the yellow inside.





5.  How would you describe your attention to detail?

 Inconsistent. Sometimes I don't pay attention at all and other times I'm hyper-focused and get stuck on something because I'm obsessing over a small detail that's actually not terribly important. And the majority of the time I'm somewhere in the middle, paying attention to the details on the things I deem important and interesting, and pay less attention to things I don't find as interesting. 


6. Insert your own random thought here.

When answering question two, I thought of this fun fact about me: as much as I like lemon flavor, I really dislike lemon in my water, and either tell restaurants to not put a lemon in my water, or immediately take the slice out and give it to my husband. I also do not want lemon in my iced tea.

I'm late posting again. I'm in that weird spiral where I keep thinking I'm almost caught up with things, and then I get behind again. Hubby has surgery tomorrow (Thursday) to remove the kidney stone, which means I get to sleep a little later than usual before taking him to the hospital, so I'm not sure whether it will be a day to do some catching up on blogs and other (arguably more important) things at my desk, or a day to catch up on some sleep.  

How do you feel about lemons and lemony things? Leave a comment and let me know!



From this Side of the Pond

I host the Wednesday Quotes link-up every other Wednesday. Stop by and share a few thoughts and quotes on the current topic here: WQ - Sunrise. I host the Everyday Images photo link-up every other Thursday. And find the Scripture and a Snapshot link-up here every Sunday.



 Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

5 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well with your husband's surgery! I feel the same way about goals/dreams.. sometimes they energize me and other times it exhausts me. I too can be pretty inconsistent with my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your hubs is getting the kidney stone taken care of. We bought a delicious lemonade from a food truck at an event once and the price was shocking. I guess they need to make a little money and lemonade isn't going to do it unless they charge a lot, but it was enormous and we shared so maybe it all evened out in the end? Hope you have a great day and are settling in to your new home. I'm hoping to get to the photo prompts one day soon. Or at least before the next round comes in, which is how I seem to roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your answer for the first question as it's so true, those things do happen which can easily energise or exhaust us.
    I don't like lemon in my drinks unless it's lemonade.
    I hope your husbands surgery goes well and he makes a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right with #1. I forgot I tend to be so excited at first and then just get bogged down...a lot of times I get decision fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope the surgery goes well. Those are pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.