Thursday, October 1, 2026

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Falling Behind




A hodgepodge is a jumble or assortment of things that might not appear to belong together. Joyce at From This Side of the Pond hosts a weekly link-up called Wednesday Hodgepodge that is a little collection of questions for bloggers to answer just for fun and to get to know each other. I always look forward to chatting with friends over coffee, so pour a cup of your favorite and let's visit for a few minutes!



Here are this week's questions - and my answers - for this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1.  When you think of autumn what sounds come to mind?
 
Crows and geese. The songbirds are either migrating or are just quieter, and the crows seem to have a lot more to say! And they say it loudly and persistently too! (Unpopular opinion perhaps, but I enjoy hearing the crows, as they rank pretty high among my favorite birds) The geese may be migrating, but they encourage each other as they go. 

 

Other autumn sounds are the crackle of a bonfire, and the annoying sound of leaf blowers. And sort of a non-sound that I love - the way everything seems a little muffled and hushed when there's a morning fog.  


 

2. Is a trip to the mountains something you enjoy? What's your favorite mountain?

I absolutely love the mountains! So many places in the Appalachians and Great Smoky Mountains that I've seen are beautiful and I love them, but the Rocky Mountains are the best, in my opinion. My favorite is Mount Rundle in Banff, because it's the most recognizable of the mountains around the town of Banff so it's kind of iconic, at least to me. In keeping with the autumn theme, here are some autumn mountain photos, including a couple of Mount Rundle.

 

driving to Banff from Cochrane


Mount Rundle seen from Two Jack Lake

Mount Rundle, seen from Mount Norquay

 

3. What's something that once felt like a mountain, but is now just a molehill?

 The whole experience of my husband job hunting, us having to move to Ohio, and trying to make a life here. Finding a place to live, finding a church, making new friends, me looking for a job. All of it. It didn't just feel like a mountain - it really was a mountain. I think of it now as a molehill because in the rear view mirror it seems smaller, and now I'm looking at it from the perspective of having conquered it, and it's now a reminder that God has never and will never let me down. 

4.  Let's play this or that - fall foods edition. Yes, you have to choose. 
  • pumpkin spice latte or chai latte - Pumpkin spice latte, not because it's my favorite, but because it's seasonal and I can drink chai latte year round
  • apple cider or hot chocolate - spiced apple cider, hot or iced
  • stew or chili - definitely chili! I do like some stews, but I like almost all chili. I've been saying for the past week or so that it's just about chili season and I'm going to have to make some soon.
  • sweet potato casserole or green bean casserole - no contest here, I'm having the sweet potato casserole all day every day. I don't mind green beans on their own, but green bean casserole is a definite hard NO.
  • butternut squash soup or creamy mushroom soup - another pretty easy choice, I'm going with the butternut squash soup. Not because I love squash soup but because I hate mushrooms. Yes, I said "hate"
  • cranberry sauce or gravy - cranberry sauce! I like cranberry everything and the cranberry sauce is one of the highlights of Thanksgiving dinner, in my opinion. Gravy is a good thing, but I can take it or leave it.


5.  Sum up your September in a sentence or two.

 I had a long list of things I thought I would do this September, and unfortunately I didn't check many things off the list. September's focus was very much on preparing for October events so even though I didn't complete everything I wanted to, it was full and busy with many good things and I think I'll still manage to be ready for the stuff coming up soon on my calendar!

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever establish a good rhythm of not just writing and posting on my blog but also visiting other blogs and commenting in a timely manner. Sometimes I manage it and I think I've figured it out, and other weeks - like this one - when the evenings are busy or when my time gets away from me, I'm constantly playing catch-up. 

For us, the hockey season starts tonight as we have tickets to the Blue Jackets game. The Jackets had a rather dreadful pre-season so fingers crossed that the regular season is much better!


Happy October! What are the sounds you associate with autumn? Leave a comment and let me know!



From this Side of the Pond

I host the Wednesday Quotes link-up every other Wednesday. Stop by and share a few thoughts and quotes on the current topic here: WQ - Elegance. I host the Everyday Images photo link-up every other Thursday. And find the Scripture and a Snapshot link-up here every Sunday.



 Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email. 

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

1 comment:

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.