Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Wednesday Hodgepodge Kickoff



A hodgepodge is a jumble or assortment of things that might not appear to belong together. Joyce at From This Side of the Pond hosts a weekly link-up called Wednesday Hodgepodge that is a little collection of questions for bloggers to answer just for fun and to get to know each other. I always look forward to chatting with friends over coffee, so pour a cup of your favorite and let's visit for a few minutes!



Here are this week's questions - and my answers - for this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1.  ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL? On a scale of 1-10 how much of a fan are you? (10 is never miss a game and 1 is I'm just here for the snacks) Who's your team? If you're playing along today, but live outside the US feel free to sub your feelings about futbol for the the more American sport of football.
 
I guess I'm ready for some football. I'm not a huge fan as you might be able to tell. If we're talking NFL I'm a solid 1. I pay no attention to it at all other than the Superbowl game, and usually I don't even know who's playing until a couple days before, and I don't have a team at all. If we're talking CFL, I'm a 3.  I used to follow it closely and was a big fan, but it's just not as convenient to stay up on the news when I'm so far removed. My team is the Calgary Stampeders. And if we're talking about college football, I'm probably a 2 or 3 there as well. We're surrounded by folks who are all in for The Ohio State Buckeyes and we really enjoy going to watch parties for the games. I enjoy watching the game, and know it well enough to appreciate good plays and understand what's happening, but I don't have any personal connection to a school, so I'm mostly there for the food and fellowship, but I do enjoy the game. By default I'm a Buckeyes fan. How's that for a mixed-up answer? LOL
Calgary Stampeders

here we are, just trying to fit in! LOL


 
2. What's something you currently have a game plan for managing?

I'm still working out details, but I do have a game plan for getting the guest room set up, and generally getting ready for house guests. First the office needs to be cleared and organized so the sofa has room there. Once the sofa is moved out of the guest room, there are some things in that room that don't belong there. We'll move those and then set up the bed. And fingers crossed that the mattresses I need to buy will be in stock soon! I have to focus on executing the plan, because we're about one month out from the "big game"!

3. Do you like chicken wings? Hot, mild, or some other flavor? What's a must have food for you on a tailgate menu? I know tailgating isn't as big of a thing outside the US of A as it is inside of the US of A, but can also answer the question this way - what's a must have food for you at a sporting event viewing party?

 I do like chicken wings, my usual choice is barbecue, although I like most flavors. We don't tailgate, technically - more of a watch party. I think buffalo chicken dip is probably the must-have on the menu. But there are so many good party foods I enjoy!

4.  Teams typically have strict playbooks they follow. What is one unwritten rule or piece of advice in your 'life playbook' you think everyone should know?

 This is hard. I'm having a real time thinking of something! My style is mostly easygoing, so maybe my playbook would include things like 'find something to laugh about - even if it's yourself' and not to take everything super-seriously. 

5.  This is the week we remember and mourn all that was lost and changed on September 11, 2001. I always include a spot for bloggers to share anything they'd like to share about 9/11. Share as much or as little as you like.

 Sharing a little from a previous year about that day from my perspective:

We lived in a sort of rural area in Maryland in 2001, and I was home with my infant daughter and three young boys. I just held my baby and cried, staring in disbelief at the TV, and I didn't know what to tell my boys. We lived very close to Camp David, and so we usually noticed when there was air traffic headed to and from there, as the jets went right over our house. I remember thinking later that day that it was eerie how quiet it was when the regular air traffic wasn't flying over. I'd always thought we lived in a really quiet spot, but when all flights were grounded it hit me that I was just so used to the planes that I hardly noticed. Everything was truly quiet out there for a couple days. I also remember how strange it was to look up at the incredibly beautiful clear blue sky and think that not so many miles away were horrific scenes of tragedy. It seemed impossible and incomprehensible.


6. Insert your own random thought here.

We made a visit back to Maryland on the long weekend and even had the opportunity to reconnect with some old friends. I'm so glad we live close enough that we can do these long weekend trips, but I sure wish we lived close to all our kids so we could spend time with all of them regularly. I especially miss this little one. 

What are you kicking off this week? Leave a comment and let me know!



From this Side of the Pond

I host the Wednesday Quotes link-up every other Wednesday. Stop by and share a few thoughts and quotes on the current topic here: WQ - Worthwhile Mistakes. I host the Everyday Images photo link-up every other Thursday. And find the Scripture and a Snapshot link-up here every Sunday.



 Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

13 comments:

  1. The only thing I know about your football is the Superbowl and I only watch for the half time show.
    I hope sorting your guest room goes well. It sounds like you have a good plan.
    It sounds like a great trip to Maryland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the Superbowl halftime shows had been better quality the past few years! We've been mostly disappointed in those. I also watch for the commercials and think "some company paid multiple millions for THAT?" LOL
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I should borrow a page from your playbook. I struggle laughing at myself - but there is plenty to laugh at!!
    PC is an Ohio State fan just because Ohio was 'home' for much of his life. I am a University of Tennessee fan. Go Vols!! We play fantasy football together so I have learned a little more about the game over the years.
    Your reflections on 9-11 are eerie. I bet there was an incredible silence over your house. I think the whole country just took a deep breath and held it for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were nominal Maryland Terrapins "fans" when we lived in MD, but we are right in the heart of Buckeye country here and you almost can't help but be a fan of Ohio State.
      It was so weirdly quiet for a couple days after 9-11. Military planes and AF1 going to and from Camp David and that's about it. We definitely were holding our breath a bit, we were just close enough to DC, Camp David, and Fort Detrick to be a bit on edge.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Finding something to laugh at is always a good piece of advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm clumsy enough and goof up enough to provide myself with endless material to laugh at! :-D
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I hope the mattress is in stock soon and everything goes according to plan! That is wonderful that you made it back to Maryland for the long weekend and had a great catch up with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store is supposed to notify me when the mattress is available, but I keep obsessively checking the website anyway! LOL Hope it's ready soon. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  5. It's probably hard to not get into the OSU fandom phenomenon where you are :). I mean, it's all over Ohio but especially where you are. Your trip to Maryland sounds fun- it sounds like a pretty far way place to go for a long weekend but I am queen of long drives in short amount of times so I get it. You take the opportunities that you have :). Thanks for sharing your 9/11 memories. I'll bet the quiet was unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, paying at least some attention to OSU sports is sort of an unspoken rule here. LOL The drive to MD is a little under six hours so not horrible, though I always wish it was closer. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  6. Laughter is so important! One of our friends is a huge Ohio State fan and he has a "watch party" at least once a year for other local Ohio State fans. He is part of a group of about 10-15 people who are all big Ohio State fans - here in Alabama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Alabama - wow! I do get the impression that Ohio State is one of the schools that has devoited fans and alumni all over the place. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.