Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Wings Over the Wednesday Hodgepodge




A hodgepodge is a jumble or assortment of things that might not appear to belong together. Joyce at From This Side of the Pond hosts a weekly link-up called Wednesday Hodgepodge that is a little collection of questions for bloggers to answer just for fun and to get to know each other. I always look forward to chatting with friends over coffee, so pour a cup of your favorite and let's visit for a few minutes!


Here are this week's questions - and my answers - for this week's Wednesday Hodgepodge.

1.  August 19th is National Aviation Day . . . do you like to fly? Last time you were on an airplane? The date is chosen in honor of the history and development of aviation, and celebrated on the birthday of Orville Wright. Have you ever been to the Kitty Hawk area of North Carolina? the city of Dayton in Ohio (their birthplace)?
 
I guess I like flying. I don't particularly like the 'hurry up and wait' and the airport experience, but flying itself is fine. The last time I was on a plane was in April 2025 when I went to visit my family in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I haven't been to Kitty Hawk, but I have been to Dayton, specifically the Wright Brothers National Museum that is part of Carillon Historical Park.



2. In what area of your life do you tend to 'wing it'? Is this an area you should be winging?

Goodness, what area don't I tend to 'wing it'??? This is my tendency more often than not. Which isn't to say I don't do any preparations or practice before doing things, but I do tend to fit it in where I can and then trust that it's good enough. So maybe that doesn't count as winging it, technically. One area that would be much better if I didnt' wing it so often is meal planning. I definitely don't plan and think that through well enough ahead of time.

3. A favorite book, song, or movie that relates to flight in some way?

 I obviously thought about Top Gun as a movie related to flight and it is a really great movie that I enjoyed, but I wouldn't call it a favorite. A song that comes to mind is Fly Me To The Moon by Frank Sinatra. I love it, it's one of my favorites from the Chairman. I'm sure that once I start reading other Hodgepodge responses I'll see lots of other songs I like too.

 
4.  Soft serve, gelato, sherbet, frozen yogurt, or good old fashioned ice cream . . . what's your pleasure? Your favorite flavor? How often do you indulge?

 First choice is old-fashioned ice cream, but I also love soft serve, and I wouldn't say no to any of these! Favorite flavor that is my go-to is Cookies and Cream, but if I'm at Whit's Frozen Custard I'll be getting the Rose Run which has raspberry and macadamia nuts and fudge. I don't indulge in frozen treats nearly as often as I'd like to. We don't typically keep ice cream in the freezer at home, so it's a special treat to stop at an ice cream place like Whit's or Graeter's or even Dairy Queen. The last time I had ice cream was at the end of June. We all got ice cream a couple times while on vacation, and we also went to a 50s style diner near our place in Ohio and got ice cream there. 

5.  I never get tired of ____________________.

 I never get tired of good music, whether listening or singing or playing. I never get tired of spending time with my family.


6. Insert your own random thought here.

Random question: what kind of trash can do you have in your kitchen and where do you keep it? I realized that this kitchen really has no ideal place for a trash can because anywhere you might put it there is a cupboard door or drawer, or it's kind of out in the middle of the room. I'd like one of those small trash receptacles that fits on the inside of the cabinet door under the sink. Do you remember these? It's basically a frame for a small trash bag, with a lid, that hangs on the inside of the cabinet door. And what's weird is that I can't find such a thing on Amazon and so far haven't found it in a store either. 

The trash can is the black object kind of hiding by the table.
That spot works but it's not ideal. But you see what I mean
about the drawers and doors?


Same thing on this side of the sink. A trash can also wouldn't 
fit inside the pantry closet - we considered that and rejected it.

What are you winging this week? Leave a comment and let me know!



From this Side of the Pond

I host the Wednesday Quotes link-up every other Wednesday. Stop by and share a few thoughts and quotes on the current topic here: WQ - The Value of Rest. I host the Everyday Images photo link-up every other Thursday. And find the Scripture and a Snapshot link-up here every Sunday.



 Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat

5 comments:

  1. In our kitchen we have a free standing trash can with an automatic lid that opens when it detects motion. But when we finished off the basement and put in a mini kitchen we built a drawer for the trash can and I can not seem to find one to fit that space! It definitely seems like you need an under the kitchen sink type of garbage can and I definitely remember those. I think all of my grandparents had those growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember lots of people having those under the sink trash bags. We had that in the house where I grew up, and I had it in a couple of our first apartments/houses too. I've found lots of options for a pull out drawer that holds a trash can, but that doesn't fit under the sink. Hope you can find the right size trash can for your space too!
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I am not a fan of flying and I think waiting around at the airport would just fill me more with anxiety. I have read a lot about the Wright Brothers museum and it looks so interesting.
    I meal plan and I couldn't not now, we don't stick to it rigidly every week but the plan is at least there.
    We have three trash cans in our kitchen, one for recycling, one for general waste and one for food waste which hangs on the wall. Thankfully we have an empty wall with no cabinets where they go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a meal plan is a great thing - at least you have a plan, even if you adjust as the week goes along. My meal plans are VERY loose and I think I need a bit more thought going into them.
      We do have a small recycle bin under the sink, and I'm willing to give that up if I can find a suitable trash can that fits there.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. Most people I know seem to have the garbage can cabinets. I have a regular one and it goes next to our cabinets, on the other side where there isn't an opening, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.