The Floral Alphabet continues today with M, N, and O.
Mums, as chrysanthemums are commonly called, don't come to mind as a favorite flower for me, but it's hard to imagine a flower I associate more closely with fall decor. Of course I need some "mumkins" and other fall arrangements featuring mums in September and October!
Last fall Timbuk Farms featured an patriotic Ohio themed arrangement of mum at the garden center. From this angle it's probably hard to tell what is depicted but there is an Ohio flag and a cardinalalong with the large sunburst. And here I used to think mums were all either yellow or orange!
Naked Lady Lily is one of the common names for this hardy bulb which is a variety of amaryllis. The common name comes from the unusual growth cycle of the plant. The leaves come up in spring but there are no flowers until well after the foliage has dried up. So in late summer, the flowers seem to come up on naked stems. Sometimes these are called Resurrection Lily because the flower grows from what may look like a dead plant. I remember being intrigued by these leggy flowers that I saw popping up in people's flowerbeds and wondered what they were. Didn't think about them all that much until a couple weeks ago when these surprised us by blooming along the back of our yard!
Quick honorable mention to my birth month flower, Narcissus.
For the letter O, here is an oleander and a selection of orchids.
This post is shared at Second Wind Leisure Perspectives for #TheFlowerHour Photo Challenge.
©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/
This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
.png)




















Oh my, FLOWER POWER ... you know me, I love flowers.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing all the beauty and creativity.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note of appreciation!
DeleteThe Ohio flag in mum's looks amazing, Kym! I learned naked ladies are not lilies but are from in the same floral family as daffies and narcissus! Wonderful pics!
ReplyDeleteThat makes sense about the Naked Ladies and ties in my inclusion of the narcissus so thanks for that! Appreciate you stopping by and commenting!
DeleteBeautiful flower photos, Kym. I had not heard of the naked ladies variety before. They look and sound so interesting.
ReplyDeleteThey are really striking when they bloom because of that tall bare stem. I was so happy to discover them in my own yard! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
Delete