Sunday, August 9, 2026

Sunday Stills - Yellows that Bring a Smile


When you think of something you photograph that is yellow, what comes to mind? For me, the first thing I thought of was sunflowers, so let's get those photos out of the way:






It will soon be sunflower farm season again and hopefully I'll get back there for more photos when the time comes.

So, yes, I was pretty confident that for August's Monthly Color Challenge, I'd find some yellow flowers. The most recent of my photos that caught my eye, though, was the series of birds featuring yellow hues that I admired at Bird Kingdom in Niagara Falls. I'm not certain I remember the correct names of all of these, but I'll give it my best shot. 

I thought these were lovebirds because they were so clearly a pair. But they are actually called Sun Conure Parakeets. I loved how they dipped their heads into the dish at the same time.




Not sure what this one is. I guessed Lorikeet, but Google Lens is telling me a type of finch. Based on its bill, I'm not sure that's correct, but it sure is yellow!


This fellow enjoying the bath is either a type of oriole or weaverbird. Either way, definitely yellow!



Back to the plant world, I wanted to include a couple of photos that feature larch trees because they have such a brilliant yellow color that really pops among the dark green of most of the trees around them.



I'm ending today's color challenge post with a series of photos of a favorite yellow character - a Minion! Several years ago I received a gift basket from a "secret sister" that included a squishy stress ball Minion. Somehow our family started a tradition of hide-and-seek with this Minion. We hide him somewhere unexpected in the house and whoever finds him gets to hide him next. For awhile I remembered to take photos of his hiding spots. The tradition carried on for a little bit after we moved but sadly, I've now lost track of where the Minion is. I was thinking if we find him on our next visit to Maryland, maybe I should bring him to Ohio and start a fresh round of Minion Hide and Seek here.










This post is shared at Second Wind Leisure Perspectives for the #SundayStills Photo Challenge and will do double duty for #TheFlowerHour Photo Challenge this week.




Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing gallery of yellows, Kym. Those birds! Nicely done on the sunflower styling. We also have western larches...ours turn yellow late October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad when my photos turn out well, and the sunflower farm field was very cooperative that day! I should have included when and where I took the photos of the larches - it was in early October in Alberta on our last visit to my family there. It's funny that I didn't remember noticing larches when I was growing up, but they really stood out to me on that visit.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.