Each month we're each invited to share things in these categories: something we loved, something that sustained us, something we're carrying forward from this month to the next, and something we're making space for. I usually like to include a little bit of a bonus: Some Things I Read and a little of What's Coming Up Soon.
Some Things I Loved:
Well, the month of August kicks off with our wedding anniversary, and I love celebrating that! This year we went up to Huron, Ohio, on Lake Erie with our son and his family. Hubby and I wanted Lake Erie perch for our anniversary dinner, so we made it a fun family day and included some time at the beach for our granddaughter. We had a lot of fun, and the perch was delicious!
![]() |
| Anniversary photo - 39 years! |
I loved this surprise - Naked Lady Lilies popped up along the fence in our backyard. I think these unusual flowers are really neat, and we had no idea what is planted or will volunteer in our yard until it shows up. I'll be interested to see if any surprises like tulips or daffodils will pop up in the spring.
I love crows so this was a pleasant little surprise one morning - at least half a dozen crows having some kind of loud discussion in the neighborhood. It seemed like a pretty friendly debate, but I don't know what about. They were up on the rooftops of my house and a couple of neighboring houses. This wouldn't make everyone happy, I guess, but I happen to like crows so it was a fun start to my morning. Sort of related, we saw an owl fly into our backyard and settle into one of the treetops on Friday night. Not sure if that's home for him, but how great would that be! We didn't get a good enough look to be sure what kind of owl so hopefully we'll spot him again. By the way, I'm also very happy that we have bats up in those trees doing their best to eat all the bugs. (Though they missed a bunch of mosquitoes that left their mark on my ankles on Friday. I do NOT love the itching that is currently driving me nuts!) I love that even though we still live in the city and have a small yard, there are still birds and bats and katydids and fireflies, and that it was even dark enough to see the lunar eclipse.
I loved meeting our son's new dog, Delilah, a couple weeks ago. She's not quite a year old and seems really sweet and well-behaved. They're working on getting her used to how things work at their house, but she is already very much loved. And yes, this is her preferred resting position!
Something That Sustained Me:
It was helpful to me to have some deadlines coming up to work towards. We decided it was time to start entertaining at the house, whether we're completely finished with the finer details of settling in or not. So we had friends over for pizza and a fireside chat on Friday night, which forced me to finish up with my project of organizing the kitchen island.
Next up, we are heading to Maryland for the upcoming long weekend, so that's a sustaining thing to look forward to. Also some decisions will be made about what we will move from the Maryland house to Ohio, and some things that can be given away or trashed.
We will have family coming in October for a few nights, so that is my deadline for getting the guest room set up. I like having a concrete deadline that motivates me to get a project done rather than wait "until I have time". Sometimes I need to MAKE the time.
Something I'm Carrying Forward:
I had a list of small decluttering and organizing tasks I thought I could knock out during August, but I didn't finish. I did quite a few of them, but not all. So I'm looking at which of those need to carry forward to my September to-do list.
I still have some things on my home improvement shopping list that I'm carrying forward and can hopefully find and acquire in September. A screen door and a large umbrella for the deck are on the list. At this point I would be okay with it if the umbrella doesn't happen until spring, but I think the screen door is important.
Something I'm Making Space For:
Don't know how far we'll get on the project this week, but I have to make space in the office to move the fold-out sofa into. The fold-out sofa is currently in the guest bedroom as it was functioning as the spare bed. Once it's moved, we'll have space to set up the new bedframe, which is still in boxes. We did make space in the living room by moving these boxes into the guest bedroom. The mattress we need for it is not in stock at our local store for a couple more weeks, but the goal is to have the bed completely set up so all we have to do is plunk the mattress on it and add some bed linens and we'll be ready for company. I'm super excited - I've never had a dedicated guest bedroom before!
*********************
Some Things I Read:
Right now I'm reading Decluttering at the Speed of Life by Dana K White. I'm reading pretty quickly, because there's not much that's new information to me, but it's helpful to see it in a new way while I'm still in the start-up process of organizing closets and such. Why would I waste time organizing spaces for things that I really don't need to keep in the first place?
Normally my reading news is at Just A Second if you're interested. But there's nothing new there now because I've been on a reading break this summer, for the most part, and have been neglecting the blog as a result.
What's Coming Up Soon?
As mentioned, the next thing coming up is the Labor Day weekend trip to Maryland. That trip and the necessary home projects are top of mind in the coming up category at present.
Share something in the comments, or share four somethings with the rest of us in the link party!
Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email.
©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/
This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
















No comments:
Post a Comment
I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.