Friday, August 7, 2026

Progress and Goals 2026 (June and July)


It's past time for another catch-up session for me to check in how I'm doing with my goals for this year. I've been hit and miss about actually posting something, but I do keep a brief sentence per day log ongoing. But no set schedule for actually sharing. I had two main areas to focus on this year as far as my goals:  1) Improve my overall health and fitness; and 2) Move to a home that suits us better than our apartment.

At the end of May, when I last posted a goals update, we had closed on a house and were preparing to move in, and with the goal of actually moving completed, I've now adjusted that goal to something more like: Get settled in and organized in the house. We have done a lot of that work, but since we were on vacation or had company (my parents) for a large part of June, we just did "good enough" on most things that weren't necessary and paid a little more attention to organization in July. We are still shopping for new living room furniture, but there's no rush since what we have is perfectly fine. We have purchased a couple of smaller furniture items I wanted - a hall bench, a vanity, and a new compact kitchen table. I'm ordering a bed for the guest room so I plan to have that room properly furnished by the end of the month, depending on delivery dates. I'm still working on organizing the kitchen, and we still haven't hung anything on the walls! And the room that serves as our "office" still needs to be organized as well. I wanted to get the guest room done first and then the fold-out sofa can be brought into the office. Which I guess means that I should put in some time on sorting the stuff that's in here so I'll have room for that sofa! I have given serious thought to getting a piano and having this be a music room also, but then there surely wouldn't be room for both the piano and the sofa, so I think that plan will remain on hold. I do have my keyboard after all.

moving day at the beginning of June

Just get everything into the new house and
we'll figure it out!

kitchen chaos to start with


master bedroom in pretty good shape



new vanity/old piano bench

new kitchen table


My other goal about improving health and fitness . . . well, I felt like I was making some decent progress in improving my food choices and I'd taken off a few pounds as well. And then along came June with vacation and moving, which gave me a handy excuse to eat what I wanted or what was convenient; and my weight ticked back up a little bit. July was a bit up and down with good diet, because there were a few too many days where the meal plan was upended by needing to run unexpected errands or because of my husband's health concerns as he dealt with a kidney stone. I concentrated on getting back to logging my meals in an app I use with my dietitician and being more intentional about nutrition, and I'm happy to report that the numbers on the scale are ticking down again. 

Here are some highlights of the past couple months (I'll try to keep it brief!):

The first week of June was when we took physical possession of the house and moved in. We took loads of things that could fit in the cars each evening, and had a moving truck to do all the furniture and basically finished getting it all here on the Saturday. We slept in the house for the first time that night!

The second week of June we got the house functional as best we could, but spent most evenings finishing up the cleaning and getting the last few things out of the apartment.

Saturday, June 13th - got my hair done in the morning while hubby mowed the lawn for the first time in a few years! We had a quick but late lunch and headed out on our vacation, arriving at hubby's sister's place in Ontario in the late evening.

Sunday June 14th - had breakfast with friends and spent the afternoon visiting with them. We picked up my Mum and Dad from the airport at dinnertime and met their friends for dinner. Mum and Dad stayed with those friends for a couple days while we spent a couple days with hubby's sister. Also our son Landon and his family arrived there on Sunday evening. 



Tuesday, June 16th - next leg of the vacation! We picked up Mum and Dad, headed for Lewiston, and met up with the whole family at the Airbnb.




Wednesday, June 17th - drove to Niagara Falls US side and then walked across to the Canadian side! We visited Bird Kingdom and did some touristy looking around before walking back and heading back to Lewiston for dinner.



Friday, June 19th - the whole family went to Niagara Falls and went on the Maid of the Mist cruise to the falls!




Sunday, June 21st - we packed up in the morning and all headed home our separate ways. Mum and Dad came home with us and stayed for another week.


Fourth week of June hubby and I were back at work, but enjoyed relaxed evening with Mum and Dad, playing games and visiting. We did a little furniture shopping, including Mum and I making the first IKEA run on the Saturday.

Monday, June 29th - Hubby and I both took an extra day off work so we could drive out to Chicago and get Mum and Dad to the airport there. Long story. On the way home we made our first visit to Buc-ees! We are planning to take a day trip there sometime, when Harrison and family can join us. 





July 1st - Happy Canada Day! Of course it was just a regular work day for us. But in the evening we went with a group from our church to pack meals at Lifeline Christian Mission

Thursday, July 2nd - after work I went to a chorus choreo and watch party for the evening. A group of us had dinner together, worked on our choreo, and watched the webcast of a barbershop competition that one of our quartets was in.

Friday, July 3rd - This was our day off work so we relaxed at home for most of it. We went to the Reynoldsburg fireworks in the evening.

July 4th - Happy Independence Day! We met Harrison and family in Dublin for that Independence Day celebration, including a Wallflowers concert and more fireworks.




Friday, July 10th - Hubby wasn't feeling quite right when he left for work in the morning, and he wound up leaving work early and going to urgent care and then ER for treatment of a kidney stone. That escalated quickly! He stayed the night at the hospital. On Saturday afternoon they attempted to remove the kidney stone without success, but he was able to come home.

Sunday, July 12th - as it turned out, we already had this week off from worship team, so we took the opportunity to visit another church. Hubby wasn't feeling too bad, but we took it easy.

The next week was an up and down one for hubby, with him coming home from work early a few days when he was in pain. Overall he felt a little better each day, and by the weekend he was in pretty good shape. Harrison and family went with us to serve dinner at Lower Lights on Saturday night and we went out for coffee afterwards, to the Eastern Africa Coffee Shop we'd been wanting to try. It was really good!



Another week of ups and downs followed. We had the car in the shop one day which made for interesting logistics of getting to work. Hubby's follow-up surgery to remove the kidney stone was on the Thursday, so we slept in a little bit and I drove him to the hospital and got him checked in. I went to work in the middle of the day and then picked him up after his surgery. On Friday I went to work a little later as well, just to make sure hubby was doing okay before I left. By Friday evening he was pretty much good as new. 

Saturday, July 25th - hubby went to work for a little bit in the morning, and I spent the day at a chorus workshop.

Sunday, July 26th - after church we went out to lunch with friends, then went home to get changed. Harrison and family came over and we put the table and chairs we were giving them in their car, then we all went to the Jazz and Rib Fest in downtown Columbus. We walked around and enjoyed the music, ate barbecue, and then went back to our place for a little bit.



The last week of July was a pretty standard work week, except that we went to the Clippers game on Tuesday night (SVC sang the anthem) and to the Irish Festival in Dublin on Friday night.



How are doing with your goals for the year? Leave a comment and let me know!

Don't miss a coffee break! Subscribe to A Fresh Cup of Coffee by email

 ©2006-2026 HS Coffee Break/Just A Second/A Fresh Cup of Coffee. All rights reserved. All text, photographs, artwork, and other content may not be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written consent of the author. This post was written by a human. https://morecoffeebreaks.blogspot.com/ 

 This post may contain affiliate links - using affiliate links from A Fresh Cup of Coffee helps continue the coffee breaks and conversation. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Keep the conversation going over a virtual cup of coffee.